Saturday, September 25, 2010

A call to publishers to consider the orphan and adoption community

This post is my encouragement to publishers to strongly consider publishing addional resources in the areas of orphan ministry and adoption.   I am certain on a daily basis you have those who come to your editorial team or send proposals with the latest and greatest book idea that they know all readers want and their book or their client’s book will be high on the best sellers list.  God has blessed me to work in publishing for close to twenty years; however, one of the true blessings God has given me is my two adopted girls from China.  This has opened the doors for me to attend two orphan ministry and adoption conferences.  The first is the National Orphan Summit which by the Christian Alliance for Orphans www.christian-alliance-for-orphans.org and the second is the Together for Adoption Conference www.togetherforadoption.org which happens to be occurring this weekend in Austin, TX.  These conferences are very similar to your national ETS and SBL meetings in which there are keynote speakers, breakout sessions, many displays, and lots of social interaction.
Yet what has struck me about this group is with the exception of the very fine book by Russell Moore titled Adopted for Life there has been very little published by the leading Evangelical publishers.  Yet, those who attend these conferences (heads of agencies, pastors, and adoptive parents) are truly key gatekeepers who would more than likely know the potential author because they sat the author’s session.  Plus, the end result of writing, reading, and implementing these books is one of God’s children who have no home finding a blessed home with a family who will love and care for him or her. 
In upcoming blogs I would like to share specific book ideas that I believe would do well for you.   I would like to share with those in the orphan/adoption community how to properly contact the acquisitions editors concerning their book idea.  In the meantime I would encourage you to check out some of the live video streaming of the upcoming conference www.togetherforadoption.org.
In Him

No comments:

Post a Comment